Sandals Royal Bahamian is a super-special, adults-only destination wedding and honeymoon resort for many reasons:
- First, for history buffs, this location has notorious connections with the British Royal family.
- It’s a close flight from many North American departure cities with an international airport conveniently located within 15-20 minutes of the resort.
- It’s one of only two Sandals resorts with a luxury-included private island for guests to enjoy (check out Barefoot Cay here!).
- You have excellent access to first-class duty-free shopping in Nassau and underwater splendors with scuba included for certified divers (check out our Best Sandals resorts for Scuba here!).
Sandals Royal Bahamian has undergone significant property upgrades over the years, most recently at the beginning of 2022, when a stunning $55 million renovation was completed.
We’ve completed two current reviews for Sandals Royal Bahamian: our In-Depth Resort Review and a Comparison Review Between Royal Bahamian and Emerald Bay—they’ll both come in handy when planning your destination wedding and honeymoon in the Bahamas.
This resort map provides a great overhead view of Sandals Royal Bahamian, and you’ll see the two towers, called the East Bay Village and West Bay Village, and two main resort pools with the Sandals brand name.
These sections are sometimes referred to as the Windsor and Balmoral Towers, and here’s a fast and fun history lesson that explains why!
Sandals Royal Bahamian is the most elegant all-inclusive resort with an exotic offshore island adventure.
The Balmoral Club and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor
Decades before Sandals Royal Bahamian became the leading luxury-included resort in Nassau, the property on the powdery sands of Cable Beach was the ritzy Balmoral Club—a playground for the rich, famous, and royal set of the 20th century!
Two frequent visitors were Edward and Wallis, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, who shared a scandalous past (Edward abdicated the British throne to marry Wallis, a twice-divorced American).
So that’s where the Balmoral and Windsor names originally came from. These days, the Windsor Tower has been reimagined as the West Bay Village, and the Balmoral Tower is the East Bay Village.
What’s the Difference Between the West Bay and East Bay Village?
If you’re new to the Sandals family and Sandals resorts in the Bahamas, this luxury adults-only resort is designed to appeal to couples seeking a party vibe or a quieter atmosphere—and the all-around focus is always romance!
One thing that sets the Sandals brand apart is its pool scene. Although we should probably say “pools!”
- Pools are the main attraction in both the West Bay and East Bay Villages. Each section has its own pool, but both pools are open to all Sandals guests, with a short five-minute walk in between.
- Sandals is also renowned for its stunning swim-up suites that offer direct access to Crystal Lagoon pools for lucky guests like you! Click Royal Bahamian Swim-up Suite and be wowed!
- Private plunge pool suites are located within the Island Village.
- Several whirlpools are located across the resort grounds, including a whirlpool on Barefoot Cay.
West Bay Village (formerly the Windsor Tower)
The Windsor Tower was always the party section of Sandals Royal Bahamian, and that vibe has carried over into the reimagined West Bay Village.
If you’re excited about an all-day party, here’s what to enjoy about the West Bay main pool:
- Guest favorite foam pool parties
- Entertainment crew with DJs, dancing, and daily activities
- The West Bay swim-up pool bar is open daily from 10:30 am to 7 pm.
The Coconut Grove activity and entertainment section is easily accessible from everywhere, and you’ll love the funky food trucks serving tasty treats (included, of course!).
West Bay Village Accommodations
The West Bay offers super-chic accommodations in various categories, so there’s something for everyone and their budget!
The most luxurious suite in the West Bay Village is an Oceanview Swim-up Butler Suite with Private Soaking Tub. Click the link for a full description, spectacular pictures, and accurate pricing.
There are also beautiful West Bay oceanfront suites facing the West Bay beach. Click the link for a breathtaking penthouse view of the electric blue sea!
If you want a view of the West Bay pool party action from your private balcony, these Club Level suites offer affordable luxury: Honeymoon Oceanview Club Level Suite and Grande Luxe Walkout Oversized Club Level Junior Suite.
East Bay Village (formerly the Balmoral Tower)
The Easy Bay pool is officially a “quiet zone,” and it’s a great area to enjoy each other or take a break from the nonstop fun on the West side, especially in the far less-crowded whirlpool.
Highlights of the East Bay Village include:
- Singalongs in the Balmoral Club Piano Bar
- The best view you’ll ever get working out in the Red Lane Penthouse Gym
- Delicious breakfasts at La Plume facing the East Bay pool (dress code in effect—click on Royal Bahamian Travel Checklist for details).
If you’re volleyball players, check out the beach volleyball area centrally located between East Bay and Coconut Grove. For tennis players, the courts are situated behind the East Bay Tower and the Island Village section of the resort.
East Bay Village Accommodations
The East Bay Village has two top-tier Butler Elite options: a luxurious Beachfront Swim-up Butler Suite and a Honeymoon Beachfront Butler Suite with an expansive penthouse view!
East Bay Village also offers the widest assortment of budget-friendly Luxury rooms for independent couples and destination wedding guests: click on Oceanview Grande Luxe, Oceanview Premium, or Honeymoon Zen Garden Room to learn more.
East Bay or West Bay at Sandals Royal Bahamian—Which Is Right for You?
Sandals Royal Bahamian is set on 15 acres, and it’s a convenient shuttle transfer to the airport or downtown Nassau for fun in a tropical city.
That said, Royal Bahamian is a very compact resort. Let’s compare it to Sandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma Island in The Bahamas—Emerald Bay is set on 500 acres, with a mile-long stretch of beach.
You’ll find it much easier to navigate Royal Bahamian because of its more intimate size, and when it comes down to it, you should choose your accommodation based on whether you’d like to enjoy music and partying all day (and into the evening!) or be far quieter and be focused on each other.
Enjoy your Sandals Royal Bahamian experience!